As a blogger, I may be compensated in some way (either pay, product, or experience) for sharing the post below All opinions are my own. ~Heidi
Last night, we had “breakfast for supper”. I love some breakfast foods – like quiche, baked oatmeal, and breakfast casseroles – but none of us are big breakfast people (because, with the exception of Brian, we’re not really morning people); so we choose to eat these things for supper sometimes.
I love looking through cookbooks and finding new recipes to try. Last time I made my menu and grocery list, I decided to try this Breakfast Strata recipe that I had found in our church cookbook. The contributor played a very large part in my life during my teen years! I know her recipes are always good ones, so this one seemed a sure thing. I altered it a bit, so I’ll note my changes.
- 1 box cheddar cheese croutons (I used garlic & cheese)
- 1 lb. sausage, cooked and drained
- 2 c. grated cheddar cheese
- 4 eggs (I used 6)
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup (I used cream of chicken)
- 2 1/2 c. milk
- 3/4 tsp. dry mustard (I used a squirt of regular mustard)
- Grease 9×13” pan.
- Layer croutons, sausage, and cheese in bottom of pan.
- Beat eggs and 2 cups milk with wire whisk. Add mustard. Pour over other ingredients.
- Mix soup with 1/2 cup milk and pour on top.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight. (I prepared in the morning and covered for several hours before baking.)
- Bake at 300 degrees for 1 1/2 hours.
I wish I would have thought to take a picture of it because not only was it delicious but it looked yummy too – all nicely browned and bubbly on top. We all loved this recipe and voted it a definite addition to the menu rotation! If you try it, let me know your thoughts.