As a blogger, I may be compensated in some way (either pay, product, or experience) for sharing the post below All opinions are my own. ~Heidi
First order of random business this week – – – Linda needs some inspiration for a new Random Dozen button. If you’ve got a good idea, head over to her blog and share!
Now, on to this week’s questions – – –
1. Is there a word which you initially mispronounced? Were the circumstances in which you made the faux pas embarrassing? By the way, that’s not “foax pass.” (I know you know that. Just jokin’ with ya.)
Not words so much as names. I work with tons of people on a daily basis – and most of them I’ve only ever met “online” – so I often get it into my head how I think their name (first and/or last) is pronounced – only to find out later that I’ve been saying it wrong all along. Then, it’s hard to change your mindset to reflect the correct pronunciation.
This is an area that bugs me though – like for example, those people who call that yummy orange frozen stuff “sherbeRt”. It’s “sher-bet”, people! There is no second “R” in that word – check the container if you don’t believe me!
2. How do you feel about the use of texting shortcuts and trends? (ex: “I’ve got ur notes. Get them 2 u 2morow.”)
I think it’s just another classic example of the laziness that people display nowadays. I mean, how much harder is it to type “see you tomorrow” than “c u 2morrow”?! Seriously, the 2nd option requires more thought on my part. Plus, I’m a perfectionist – I like things capitalized and punctuated correctly. This text speak is so dumbed down!
3. Tell me about your high school senior picture. Please feel free to post.
Well, I just went to my Photobucket account to share the actual picture, and it started a series of events that included infecting my computer with a virus that I needed to disinfect. Ugh! So, I guess we’ll just let this question go this time around. It was the late 80’s – enough said!
Edited to add: I wrote this post yesterday. Since I had a little extra time this morning, I thought I’d attempt this again. So, I’m adding my senior picture after all. I’m not sure why I was always so somber in pictures. I do have a few senior pictures that I’m actually smiling in; but, for the most part, I never smiled in pictures. Nowadays, I always try to smile. I don’t want people looking back on me and thinking I was always unhappy – I don’t think I was an unhappy teen, but it sure appears that way!
5. Share a high school or college homecoming memory.
I attended a private Christian school and we did not have homecoming. (They do now, but didn’t when I attended.)
6. Linda at Mocha with Linda wants to know: “Do you prefer sunrises or sunsets?”
Sunsets – only because I’m really not much of a morning person. Plus, I think the colors in the sunsets (at least where I live) are much more vibrant and beautiful.
7. Lea at Cici’s Corner asks, “What is something you have not done that you desire to do?”
Travel to England (maybe even all of Europe)!
8. Carol at Wanderings of an Elusive Mind ponders, “If you could come back [in another life] as an animal, which would it be?”
Maybe a cat. They seem to have life pretty easy.
9. Joyce from The Other Side of the Pond is curious: “Where were you 10 years ago?” Please feel free to elaborate more than just your physical location.
10 years ago I was packing and planning for our trip to Vietnam to adopt our daughter Gracie. We’ll be celebrating her 10th anniversary on the 23rd of this month! There was an awful lot of excitement and preparation going on around here, mixed in with some fear of the unknown, among other emotions. Now, 10 years later, I can’t imagine our lives without her!
10. When you are proven to be correct in any contentious discussion, do you gloat?
Maybe inside, a little, but not outwardly. LOL
11. What is your favorite food which includes the ingredient “caramel?”
Ummm . . . I pretty much love anything with caramel! But, a hot caramel sundae with nuts at McDonald’s pops into my head right now.
12. From my 17 year-old daughter to you: “If you could be part of any fictional family, which family would you choose and why?”
This one is a bit hard. My answer to this one could change by the day, according to what we’re studying or reading around here. Right now, though, I’m going to say the Merriman family from the Felicity, an American Girl book series (probably because we recently visited Williamsburg!)