As a blogger, I may be compensated in some way (either pay, product, or experience) for sharing the post below All opinions are my own. ~Heidi
My kids love all the salty and sweet snacks that are available, but we try to save those for rare occasions. It seems like, over the summer months, kids get plenty of chips and sweets at picnics, reunions, etc. So, when we’re at home, I like to offer them healthier choices.
Right now, our refrigerator contains yogurt, applesauce (compliments of Walt Disney World – who really has a handle on healthy meals for kids!), and cheese sticks. LOTS of cheese sticks. Let me tell you why . . .
First of all, we love cheese! Cheese is one of the only things that everyone in my family agrees on. When it comes to things like chips, we all like a different flavor. Sweets are the same way – one person likes pie, another cake, etc. But cheese . . . we all love it!
Second, I was offered the opportunity to review the new Fridge Packs from Sargento. As you can tell by the picture above, we are already Sargento’s purchasers (you can see a pack of their shredded cheese in the drawer above the Fridge Packs). Since we’re already familiar with the Sargento’s name and brand, trying the Fridge Packs seemed like an obvious choice for my family.
Here’s a little bit about Sargento’s:
Sargento Foods Inc. has demonstrated its passion for cheese and cheese-based meal solutions throughout its history. Founded in 1953 in Plymouth, Wis., Sargento is a leading manufacturer, packager and marketer of natural shredded, sliced and snack cheeses, cheese appetizers, ingredients, sauces and other culinary solutions. Sargento is owned and operated by the Gentine family, and has net sales of more than $900 million. For more information, please visit www.sargento.com.
Sargento Foods Inc. is encouraging Americans to “spring clean” their snacking regimes to develop healthier habits in time for summer. To help Americans clean up their snacking habits, Sargento has introduced the new Fridge Pack. And here’s what we’re loving about them:
>They are yummy! We love all 3 flavors – Light String Cheese, Colby-Jack Cheese and Mild Cheddar Cheese
>They are healthy! So much better than reaching for a bag of chips or a cupcake, right?
>They are within easy reach for the kids! When we buy cheese sticks in a bag, they go in our “cheese drawer” – the picture above depicts what it looks like right after our vacation (empty) – normally, though, it’s stuffed with shredded cheese products and it’s hard to find those packages of cheese sticks. These Fridge Packs are so handy – it’s like a little grocery store right in my refrigerator (come to think of it, maybe I should put a little donation bowl in there!)
Here are some great tips from Sargento Spokesperson, Liz Ward, MS, RD:
· Refresh your snacking habits. The annual spring cleaning ritual can also pertain to your snacking habits. While you’re spring cleaning your kitchen this year, transform your snacking routine, too. Keep healthy choices front and center to make smart snacking a cinch. Fill a bowl with fresh whole fruit and set it on the counter, keep whole grain crackers and rolls in your desk or purse, and place a Sargento Fridge Pack in an easy-to-reach place in your fridge.
· Pack portable snacks. When the clock strikes 3:00 p.m., we know you’re looking for a snack to tide you over. Take food with you to munch on when you’re at work or on the road to prevent unexpected trips to the vending machine or drive through.
· Turn over a new snacking leaf. Chips, cookies and candy can often wreak havoc on our diets. Stock up on nutrient-rich foods such as whole grains, fruits, vegetables, eggs and cheese to obtain that necessary boost in energy.
· Pay attention to portions. American portion sizes continue to increase everywhere we go and, consequently, so do our waistlines. Healthy snacks should fit into your calorie budget, not be additions that you don’t account for. Aim for 100 to 200 calories per snack, and count snack calories as part of your daily energy allowance to avoid this common mistake.
· Protein + fiber = The best snacks. We know it can be a challenge to find satisfying snacks that are both nutritious and pack a punch of flavor. Try pairing foods with protein, such as eggs, cheese and nuts, with fiber-filled fare, including fruits, vegetables and whole grains. Foods rich in protein and fiber help you to feel fuller for longer, and they pack other vital nutrients to support good health.
Sargento Fridge Packs are found in the refrigerated cheese section of major grocery retailers for a suggested retail price of $6.99 for 18 snacks. Have you see them in your local grocery store yet? Have you tried them? If so, I’d love to hear your opinions!
NOTE: I wrote this review while participating in a blog tour by Mom Central Consulting on behalf of Sargento and received product samples and a promotional item to thank me for taking the time to participate.